Saturday, June 18, 2011

blessed

i am blessed
oh yes, i do know this!
thank you so much for the
love and support you have
all shown me!

i thought i would post
the message i shared
last night at Lynden Relay for Life

------------------------------
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Years ago I claimed this verse. It means so much to me… I love that in the bible it says; God plans to give me hope and a future!

My name is Melody Olson
I am a 2 time breast cancer survivor!
Today I went to Seattle, for my 6month check up
The preliminary report was, clean and clear!

The first time I was diagnosed my three daughters were still quite young.
My prayer and my goal was to just BE HERE. To be here to watch them grow up!
I was going to take whatever those doctors had to throw at me. My plan was to fight back!
I had surgery followed by 10 months of chemo.

The second time around, was 7 years later.
7 years of clean and clear reports...
I found a lump on the other side and so began the tests, biopsies, surgeries and chemo once again.

This time my girls were older. Two were living on their own and the youngest was in high school. My prayer took on a different meaning.
The goal had been changed. Now I wanted to be here to see that youngest go to college and become a teacher,
and I wanted to be here for weddings and grand-babies!

My youngest daughter is now a senior at Western, she will be graduating with a dual major and becoming that teacher she always wanted to be.

I also have 2 married daughters who have BOTH given me a grandson!

The joy I felt when I saw these little faces and held them for the very first time was unbelievable.
It was multiplied by the fact that I was ALIVE! That I was here to be a part of their little lives.

Tonight is a night to remember. and it is a time to celebrate!

life is good!

Yes, Life is good!
There is always hope, I truly believe this.
No matter what those odds or numbers are...
there. is . always. hope.

when the clouds are dark and heavy
when it feels like all is lost
My prayer is that you remember,
there is always hope!

I pray that you would keep looking UP.  SHINE your light for others to see-
May you savor each and every moment of each and every day.
life is good and my God is awesome!

I leave you with a quote from Anne Frank:
Where there's hope, there's life.
It fills us with fresh courage and makes us strong again!
--------------
my two luminaria bags

the word CURE was written in luminaria bags


with love,
melody

20 comments:

Southhamsdarling said...

What a lovely post! What a lovely talk you gave!! I'm sure that all your bloggy friends will be thrilled to hear that our prayers have been answered, and that your check up was GOOD! Lord be praised! Shine on melody-mae!

Betsy Brock said...

:)

God is good. I'm so glad!

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear sweet Melody, you truly wanted me to break down into tears this afternoon didn't you? Being a "survivor" I totally felt those words you shared, I have done my share of praying and then changing the venue up a bit as the years rolled by. I am so glad and even thankful that you survived and all is looking well! You have truly been a godsend to me, and I absolutely love you! ~Hugs, M

Deanna said...

Melody,
Thank you for shining the light!

God bless,
d

Bethany said...

Thank you so much for sharing, truly beautiful talk you gave. And, it is such a blessing to be alive, isn't it?

Chris Graham said...

Thank you for posting your speech.
Your encouragement with your words is for all of us no matter what we go through God is with us every step of the way. Take care precious lady.
Chris

Empty Nester said...

I'm so glad you are here with us! Our lives are so much brighter with you in them! And I truly mean that!

I completely agree with you about HOPE. It is one thing that I never lose sight of.

Might as well, can't dance... said...

Praise God for your check-up and your wonderful words of wisdom and hope in your relay speech! I love reading your blog and draw inspiration from it! Blessings today and always...

songbyrdonthemountain said...

I am so glad you shared your talk here since we couldn't attend last night. What a blessing!

Bethe77 said...

Melody Mae thank you for shaing your speech you gave. How wonderful inspiring and up lifting. Im sure it touched someone that needed to ehar exactly what you said. it truly blessed me reading it.
So glad all is going well. Many blessing.

Katie @ Chicken Noodle Gravy said...

Your speech, like you, is so inspiring and uplifting! You are a true survivor. You have overcome! Thank you for sharing your wonderful speech. And congratulations on a great report from the doctor. :)

Meri said...

What an inspiration! I'm so happy to hear that you continue to have good checkups and have kicked this thing down! Cheers and "salud"!

softspoken said...

happy to hear the good news of your check up!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! You have brought so much glory to the Lord with your writing and the life He has given you. A great big Yippeee!

Shauna said...

What an amazing gift God has instilled in your heart, I love that you have claimed hope. Truly a beautiful post!

Adriana Iris said...

Oh Sweet Melody such blessings.

KT @ KT's Refinishing School said...

What great news! I can't imagine how agonizing the wait was for the results and I am so glad to hear they were glowing :)

Have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Melody, this is a beautiful post, as I sit here crying. Jeremiah 29:11 is also the verse I claim. It's a funny thing, when I am going through a rough time, or my faith is not so strong it starts showing up. I have seen it 3 different times on 3 different blogs the past few days. I just went through an emotional hardship the past few days. It always wows me.
I have a favorite quote from Max Lucado - from his book God Came Near.
"Hope is not a granted wish or a favor performed; no, it is far greater than that. It is a zany, unpredictable dependence on a God who loves to surprise us out of our socks and be there in the flesh to see our reaction."

I cannot tell you the number of times God has surprised me out of my socks. I like to picture Him, there in the flesh, grinning at me. :)
God Bless you.
Caryn

Sisters 'N Cloth said...

What a great encouragement to remember that He is with us, and not to lose hope, no matter what happens. Thank you so much for sharing the wisdom you have gained in your journey through trials - two time breast cancer survivor!

I'm so glad to have found your blog through the Super Stalker Sunday blog hop. Now following you via Google Friend Connect :)

Blessings,

Melissa
www,sistersncloth.com

Shanda said...

Melody, That was beautiful and I know God used it to touch and encourage many ladies. And you gave glory to him in such an honest and touching way.