Tuesday, April 19, 2011

shine

"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile. "
- Mother Teresa

wow, on my smart phone i have this quote app and when i read this one
well it really spoke to me.
that we be that light, make others feel happier after being around us!!!
some people love to just wallow in it...
to dig themselves deep and deeper into that hole
always looking for the ugly and bad
which makes others not want to be around them, ya know?
then others, yeah they just shine that light
making others just smile to be around them
like a moth to a lantern...
people are drawn to them.
we want to surround ourselves with
people that makes us feel better...even happy

there was this man years ago at church, and every time you greeted him and said, "how are you? "
he always, always answered, "EXCELLENT"
now i know for a fact that he had hardships,
his wife had been through treatments for cancer
they had many heartaches
this man refused to look at the ugly. he got up every morning
and counted his blessings, not his pitfalls.
his attitude has stuck with me
i am sure there were days that were hard for him
to even see a glimmer of happiness
through the dark clouds
but, i think he dealt with all the worry and sadness
maybe by the happiness bestowed on others?!

i do try to always look at the beauty, the good, the blessings...
dwelling on the positive
and being thankful for it all

now i know that there are days
that i just fail miserably
losing my temper
hurting feelings
and for sure, not shining that light
there are days that are just plain gloomy and try as i might
it is hard to see the good
but, to dwell?
no, i try to dwell only on the good in my life
because it is too sweet not to!

i do want to show others that i care
that they are loved
and oh, yes i am thankful
each and every day...

i want to shine, i want to smile and be that light that makes others happier...

lets be shiny today,
melody

9 comments:

Empty Nester said...

Melody- My image of you IS that person who smiles and is the light that makes others happier! That's exactly who you are!

Anonymous said...

Well dear friend, you certainly were that light on my blog today! All day today I have had the song "This Little Light of Mine" racing around in my head. I have another post that I plan to write in which those lyrics will fit in perfectly. Little did I know they would also be well suited for your post today. ~Hugs...

Unknown said...

Melody, This is beautiful. The Story about the man who always said he's 'Excellent' I love that. I really do. It rubs off on people and that's what we need to do. Spread that positivity as he does :) Lovely post!

xoxo
Katie

Barb Hodges said...

Melody, I loved this post. I have a friend who was always calling me Pollyanna. She would say, here comes those blonde pigtails again. She was teasing me, but I too would rather find the blessing, than the darknss. Keep shining, my friend. (smiles)

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Melody -

Thanks for visiting my blog and becoming a Follower.

Love your positive attitude!

Blessings,
Susan :)

Erika said...

I think if there's one thing the hardships of the world cannot take from you, it's your ability to smile. And as long as you can smile at yourself in the mirror every day, that smile is enough to make living worthwhile!

Southhamsdarling said...

Beautiful, beautiful quote - I love it! I always try to make people feel better and to be kind to people. A quote App ! Wow! I shall look it up in just a moment on my iPhone. What a brilliant idea! Hope your week is going well. NO, the summerhouse is not like a greenhouse! It is a wooden building with windows and french doors with a little wooden balcony and it is set down the other end of our garden.

Katie @ Chicken Noodle Gravy said...

What a beautiful and inspiring post. I love the quote, and I love even more your entire attitude and outlook. This is how I want to live my life. Thank you for posting such a lovely sentiment.

Dawn said...

oh my gosh!!! here i am reading this today... but i decal-ed it (a version of it) above my front door the other day!!! funny :) it is a beautiful quote, and i try to really live it!