Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Racing towards that Cure-


This past Sunday I was lucky enough to again participate in the Puget Sound Race for the Cure in Seattle, WA with all three of my daughters.
I left the house at 5 am to pick each one of them up along the way, it is a 2 hour drive for us.
The day is always fun, I get to spend time with all three of the girls and laugh and share, do lunch and shop afterwards and just have a great time!
It rained this year, not too unusual for Washington...as we walked, there was a sign that said, "who is your hero" and my middle daughter stopped in the rain to write my name on that sign...I was filled with love for those three girls of mine.
Each survivor wears a pink t-shirt and as I walk and see the thousands of pink shirts it is with mixed emotions. I am happy on one hand to see so many pink SURVIVOR shirts but on the other hand, saddened that so many have had to fight this stupid battle! At the end of the race, it is a 5 k, at the end they separate the survivors and the other participants and the 'pink shirts' walk down a runway finish line, as people are cheering, clapping and giving you high-fives...I always get a bit teared up at this point. This year, the woman directly in front of me was currently going through treatments... she was wearing a scarf to cover her bald head and as she walked in front of me her family cheered and cried and I was overcome with emotions...the tears at this point were beginning to fall.
Cancer is as my one daughter's coined, 'ugly'. It does not care or discriminate. It doesn't care if you are what people would call a nice person, if you are healthy, exercise and do all the 'right things', it doesn't care your sex, your race, your age...young and old get it, it doesn't matter if you are rich or poor. Cancer is just plain 'ugly'!

My prayer always is that they will find a cure in our lifetime. Now, with my friend's daughter going through the beginning tests to see what the plan of attack will be, my fervent prayer is: We need that CURE and we need it NOW!

may you be blessed today. go and show someone you love them today. be happy. :)


My 3 daughters and I. June 6, 2010
My daughter on the far right is due to have her first baby in 4 1/2 weeks and still walked with us. :)

6 comments:

beachvintage.com said...

Yes, cancer is just plain ugly and no one should have to face the things these people are facing. Great for you to get out there and do something.

Anonymous said...

I agree....UGLY! I will be praying for you and so many more that are walking this walk. You are one strong cookie! Beautiful girls you have there too~

a boy a girl and a pug said...

that is so wonderful that y'all did this especially with your daughters. so neat. i really would like to walk in one someday.

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

what a wonderful post! i came to say thanks for joining in the giveaway fun on my blog, but i feel like i'm leaving with so much more. thank you for sharing!

Twig said...

Beautiful post....I have several friends who are survivors and I love them dearly. AMAZING testimony and it sounds like your daughters are wonderful! I am so glad to be reading your blog :)

inadvertent farmer said...

Lovely post...you are blessed to have three such beautiful daughters. I too hope for a cure in our lifetimes. I would love for my daughter to never have to worry about breast cancer.

BTW...I'm just down the highway from you in SW Washington! Kim