Sunday, June 22, 2014

kicking cancer to the curb


this past friday and saturday
was our local relay for life
which is a 24 hour walk for cancer.

i have been doing the opening survivor lap
approx. six years now.

it is always moving/emotional
when the survivors are told
to line up on the track and take the first lap
to open up the walk.
the track is lined with family and friends
cheering and crying as the survivors take
that first lap.

this year as i walked the opening lap
my oldest daughter and my grandson
stood along the sidelines waving
and cheering for me-
what a sweet sight to see.

after the survivors were all finished
with the opening lap
balloons were set free
to remind everyone
that HOPE rises. above it all. HOPE rises.



i am thankful.
each and every day.
each and every moment
& each and every year
that goes by.

because you see,
i know what it
feels like, to hear the words:
cancer
and also to know
the joy it brings,
to be told, you are now
cancer free!

i walk to remember
i walk to celebrate
i walk to raise awareness

may i never forget.

may i always, always have HOPE!

may that hope rise to the surface of my life!

may i never forget.

may i always, always have a thankful heart!


Photobucket

2 comments:

Anna said...

Beautiful! Your post brightened my morning. :)

songbyrdonthemountain said...

my brave, amazing, wonderful, loving, strong, (did I say amazing?) friend! I loved my experience of watching you take your victory lap the time I was able to come to the relay. you are truly an inspiration.